Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2001 08:30:47 -0600
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        Michael Wells <mwells@zeus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel overheats

Michael, I'll take a shot at this for you. I believe that the reason for
this is that SMP kernels do not currently use the hlt instruction to
stop the cpu, there is simply an idle process that runs the cpu's wide
open all the time. Top apparently takes the amount of cpu time that
process gets into account when it looks at the system load, etc. Again,
I'm not certain I'm right about this, but you may be able to verify it
by doing something like loading linux and running an RC5 client on the
machine and seeing if it does the same thing. There may be a guru out
there calling me stupid right now - If I'm wrong, let me know:)