Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 12:36:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        greg@gcsl.com, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADAPTEC 3940UW (IS ANYONE THERE ?)

> So I'd imagine it's the 'ahc' driver that you need... Which I also believe
> is compiled into the GENERIC kernel that ships with 2.2.6 - so if your
> system isn't finding it, theres something else wrong... The 3940UW isn't
> behind a PCI->PCI bridge or something is it? (i.e. how many PCI slots does
> your server have?)

Or, it's a newer version of the 3940UW and isn't based on the 7880/7881
chip.  These are based on the 7895 chip, which so far, is only supported
by CAM available for -current.  Rumour has it a port to -stable is in
progress.  Boot with verbose (-v) and see if you find the PCI device
ID for the 7895.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org