Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:11:05 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:36:18 +1000, "Doug Young" wrote:

> the / one .... I already did a  chmod 777 incoming, but I can't
> change to that directory (or anything else for that matter) from
> remote machines ....... how do I fix whatever is broken ??

We need to see what you see once you've logged in and typed done
``cd incoming''. If you don't get an error message, then the change of
directory is probably working.

I suspect the problem may be that you don't have a ~ftp/bin directory
containing an ls binary, as explained in the ftpd(8) manpage. When you
have no ls binary, you can's see files. That doesn't mean you can't
change directory or get files.

Ciao,
Sheldon.