Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:32:35 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        "oZZ!!!" <osa@etrust.ru>
Cc:        Edwin Culp <eculp@webwizard.org.mx>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape-4.07 can't work under FreeBSD-3.0-ELF with XFree86-ELF...

When you convert your -CURRENT system to ELF (using "make auto-to-elf"),
as part of that process it will move any a.out libraries from the /usr/lib,
/usr/local/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib directories into subdirectories called
aout.

If you update your /etc directory properly after this including /etc/rc and
/etc/rc.conf, the linker will also search these aout directories for
libraries at run time so your Netscape binary will still be able to find
the a.out XFree86 libraries and will still run.

To avoid having heaps of old a.out libraries lying around, I removed all
my ports (except XFree86) using pkg_delete port-name so that when I ran
"make aout-to-elf", it would only move the XFree86 libraries into the aout
subdirectory.

After the conversion to ELF I them removed XFree86 (but it left the a.out
libraries behind as it didn't expect them to be in an aout subdirectory).

I then rebuilt XFree86, kde, tcsh etc so they'd be in ELF.

oZZ!!! wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Edwin Culp wrote:
>
> > "oZZ!!!" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > > How can i run netscape-4.07 under FreeBSD-3.0-ELF with XFree86-ELF ??
> > > If it not possible - how can i run another X-browser ?
> > > Opera or somethink else?
> > >
> > > Rgdz,
> > > Осокин Сергей aka oZZ,
> > > osa@etrust.ru
> > >

> > I don't now about 4.07 but we run 4.5b2 right out of the box in the
> > default directory /usr/lib with no problems.  We have are  on everthing
> > even kernel.  I think there is a port for both that should work.
> >
> > ed
> Are your version is -ELF? or a.out?
> And what about X-libs? Do you have a.out X-libs?
> I haven't X-libs, my X in ELF ONLY!
>
> Rgdz,
> oZZ,
> osa@etrust.ru

|Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973