Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:27:00 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apmd for FreeBSD

In message <19990614141928.A44318@nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
: I will commit to importing things like ``apmd'' if they are shown to work
: in -CURRENT and do not affect non-laptop machines.

Feel free to wait for this to be incorporated into -current before you
try it.  However, it is useful today to have the PAO folks doing their
experimentation in 3.x based systems.  It makes sense for them to do
experimentation where they have a confortable base.  He can hardly be
faulted for picking a stable base when there is so much chaos in the
current -current.  The new-bus integration has been somewhat
disruptive to the -current sources from both a technical as well as a
political point of view.  The new-bus/newconfig rift has been a very
hot issue for hackers in the Japanese FreeBSD community.
iwasaki-san's choice to implement things on the 3.x + PAO neatly
avoids all of those issues until they were settled.

From what I've seen of iwasaki-san's work, there is little to no
impact to non-laptop machines.  It is a good start and an excellent
prototype.  There has been talk for doing a future "power management"
subsystem which could be built over apm or over ahcp or whatever other
things that may be on the horizon.  It was my understanding that apmd
would be the first step of doing that and that it was done with the
understanding that it might be just a prototype in the end.

Finally, I don't think that it is approrpiate for you, or anybody else
to come down so hard on someone becausethey chose to do their first
implementation in a stable version of FreeBSD.  There are many
examples in the past that were done first in -stable and then ported
to -current after they stablized.  While they were first integrated
into -current, but much work were done in -stable.

Wanrer