Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:58:01 -0700
From:      Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Status of Java in FreeBSD? (OpenSolaris is dead)

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:57, Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 07:59:20PM +0200, Antonio Vieiro wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Now that OpenSolaris is dead [1] I was wondering what the status of Java
>> is in FreeBSD.
>> [1] http://sstallion.blogspot.com/2010/08/opensolaris-is-dead.html
>
> IMO the "status" of Java is "best to avoid it". Just ask Google. :-)

So, what do you suggest for SSL VPN clients? Some/most/all of the
clients for these things are Java-based - well, except for clients
running Windows and for which there is (usually) an ActiveX control
(shudder.)

That's just the most interesting one to me, but OOo also relies on
Java for some functionality (thought that's somewhat a Sun/Oracle
effort too, and one wonders about its fate also) and there are other
applications for which Java is a critical component.

Kurt