Date:      Sun, 02 Dec 2001 11:40:31 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enabling Softupdates in default install on -CURRENT

I believe that soft updates has been well enough tested at this
point to make it reasonable to turn it on by default. Doing it
in 5.0 is a no-brainer; doing it for 4.5 is probably fine as it
does not require any code-base changes.

Having it off for the root filesystem seems like the right plan.
Primarily for the reasons of running out of space. I have some
changes in the works that try to address that problem, but none
work well enough to be worth checking in yet. I am still hopeful
that one of the ideas will pan out. In the meantime, you should
be mounting a memory-based filesystem on /tmp. Indeed you should
do that in any event - setting up a memory-based /tmp should
be part of the default setup script.

	Kirk McKusick