Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:22:36 +0100
From:      freebsd@casidy.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing git draws a lot of dependencies

Hi guys,

Can you point me to a discussion explaining why we have to keep up with
sooo many dependencies?

I assume this matter was address many times and I don't want to directly
bring up the topic... again.

I have just installed FreeBSD12 on a new system. First thing I want to
reinstall is git.

But I can't believe what I am reading, when I do 'pkg install git' I can
see a lot of dependencies where I can't see the relationship with git.

Installing git will have, amongst others...

  * bash    I don't need that
  * perl5  Come on! I just want git!
  * python What? Why do you need Perl5 in the first place?
  * subversion  Git is using subversion???
  * tpm-emulator  Emulator of what?

Installing git will consume up to 367 MiB of my SDCard on my Pi...

Yeah, I know it's not new. Just want to know what is the very good
reason behind that.

Thanks for enlighting me.

Philippe