Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:56:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Slyce <slyce@onramp.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot ping myself after dialup...

On Thursday,  3 September 1998 at 17:39:14 -0500, Slyce wrote:
> Why am I unable to PING myself(my IP) after login to my ISP via Kernel
> PPP???

I don't know!!!  Why don't you tell us what you've done???  What we
need here are the output of the following commands:

  # netstat -rn
  # ifconfig -a

If you don't know how to include this output in a mail message, check
out http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.

In this output, make sure that interface lo0 is configured, up and
running, and has the IP address 127.0.0.1.  Otherwise that could be
the problem.

> I need to be able to telnet to my site from work, but I can't
> even PING myself.... I'm hoping this doesn't require a static IP with
> FreeBSD...

No.  But it makes life a lot easier on any computer.

Greg