Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:36:37 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Benjamin Lee <ben@b1c1l1.com>
Cc:        Kelly Martin <kellymartin@gmail.com>, andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: preparing for an upgrade

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:13:50PM -0800, Benjamin Lee wrote:
> On 11/18/08 21:43, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> [...]
> > You can only use it on 7.x if you add compatibility libraries and ensure
> > your kernel has COMPAT_FREEBSD6 in it.  These libraries have given some
> > users trouble in the past; you will find most people advocate rebuilding
> > all ports from scratch (pkg_delete -af please) when upgrading between
> > major FreeBSD versions (e.g. 6.x -> 7.x).
>
> Is there a particular reason that you recommend using pkg_delete?  I
> just did 'portupgrade -aRf' for my 6.2 -> 7.0 upgrades.

icarus# make all-depends-list
/usr/ports/lang/ruby18
/usr/ports/databases/ruby-bdb
/usr/ports/databases/db42
/usr/ports/devel/libtool15

So when upgrading your ports, you use... a port?  That relies on a other
ports of complex nature (a language and Oracle/Sleepycat DB)?  Yeah,
I'll pass.  For example, if you use the base system pkg_* tools and
portupgrade, they can get out of sync -- totally rad!

I do not use portupgrade for a lot of reasons.  All you have to do is
examine the freebsd-* mailing lists (mainly -ports and -questions) for
problems involving portupgrade.  I believe the average is 1 a week?

If the tool "gets the job done" for you, use it; I support that right
above all else. But as for me, I'm incredibly anal when it comes to
UNIX, and I strongly believe in the KISS concept.

The only "third-party" tool I'd trust for managing ports would be
portmaster, because it's a standalone tool with no dependencies, written
in sh, and written by Doug Barton.

That's all I have to say.  I won't reply from this point on.