Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:39:32 -0700
From:      "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <larry@pkunk.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, <sos@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Legacy Device Support (Was RE: No help...)

I don't have all the answers.  I'm just a frustrated user with legacy
hardware.  In the past, that frustration has been with hardware that drivers
existed for, then future releases discontinued support for such hardware.
I'm just confused and don't understand exactly why code that was functional,
usable, was later removed from the distributions.

Honestly, I've taken a whole lot of flak for writing about my frustration.
Maybe I deserve it, or maybe I don't.  But I'm just giving everyone else my
opinion, my experience, and what I felt was the only way to get things here,
in my home office, back on track, so I can get back to work and not have to
worry about it anymore.

As far as patches go, I have here, on my system, the Linux 3COM 3C515 driver
code.  *IF* I had some fixed up SiS 5591 support, I could probably port this
code into the FreeBSD kernel.  Can't be *THAT* hard to adapt the code to
FreeBSD.  I feel up to doing it.  But I already took a stab at fixing the
problems with the SiS 5591 and ended up with a corrupted HD as a result, so
I don't think I can figure out what's going on in there, not on my own, at
least.  Poking the kernel source is something I've done.. maybe 2 or 3
times.

But this frustration is a direct result of just plain being ignored.  Waving
my hands around and going 'Look guys, I'm frustrated, so I'm going to run
something else' got a helluv a lot of attention.  I'm a little disappointed
that's what it took, but now that I have your attention, can we work
together to resolve some of these problems?  I'll list them again.

First, the 3COM 3C509 driver seems to have a problem.  What?  I don't know.
I have symptoms and no answers.  Running MTU 1500 on my LAN results in
stalling.. the server periodically chokes for a few moments every few
moments, during sustained data transfer.  This seems to much more strongly
affect transmission, than reception.  I've seen usually that things go fine
if my workstation sends, and server receives, but stalling occurs when its
the other way around.  Dropping MTU to 1000 (or lower) cures this problem,
but introduces new ones.  My Hub's collision light stays lit solid during
any sustain transfers, in either direction, and twice I experienced a total
freeze of the network layer, where no communication would occur.  Coming in
from the console, pinging out returned 'No buffer space available.'  This
stayed true for about 5 minutes.  I did kill all server daemons and any
active transfers processes.  That's the information I have.  If there's ways
I can provide more, please advise and I'll take the necessary steps to
collect additional diagnostic data.  The 3C515 has zero support.  There is
no driver.

Second, SiS 5591 Bus Mastering IDE controller.  Previously, I ran laptop
1.5G drive on this system.  This drive did not support UDMA.  Everything ran
_PERFECTLY_.  Good performance, no problems, no corruptions.  Then, I pulled
a 13G drive out of my workstation because my server was out of space and put
it in.  The nightmare began.  First, booting GENERIC build of the kernel
results in a total FREEZE of the system just after device probing is
complete and its going to mount the root file system.  Removing the
IDE_ATAPI_DMA_SUPPORT (I might have this spelled not quite right) directive
from the kernel config file and rebuilding does not change anything, the
drivers still detect and enable UDMA.  I modified the source for ata-dma.c,
forcing the UDMA detection to be bypassed myself, and tried that.  Worked,
but HARD WRITE errors began to randomly occur and the drive became
corrupted.  I disabled all ATA drivers in the kernel and used older WD
drivers.  This works, but its slow and makes my server time warp
occasionally (goes backwards, guess because its spending too much time being
interrupted.)

I just wish I had better hardware, but I don't.  The system is a ProTech
Single Board computer on an ISA backplane.  Everything is on that one card
except the NIC, and I have to use ISA NIC's.  I have 3 of them.  3C515,
3C509, and an ancient SMC8000.

So I've put the two problems back on the table here.  I'll do anything
anyone tells me to get more diagnostic data in an effort to cure these two
problems.  If I can get the SiS problem resolved, I can probably port that
3C515 driver over and not even worry about the 3C509, but I'm sure someone
would like it if that got fixed too, so I'd happily offer my help to figure
out what the heck is going on in there that causes the problems I was
seeing.

BTW, I'm dropping this thread from the freebsd-questions group, doesn't feel
like it needs to be in there anymore.  And I'd love to work with you guys to
figure this stuff out and do what I can to help.  That's all I wanted in the
first place, but no one said a thing.  I've also included the people listed
as responsible for these pieces of code.

Lawrence Cotnam Jr.
(775) 337-2536
email: larry@pkunk.net