Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:53:10 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <fbsdlists@gmail.com>
To:        Jerahmy Pocott <quakenet1@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        Soo-Hyun Choi <shchoi@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Where to FreeBSD Boot Manager?

On 8/22/05, Jerahmy Pocott <quakenet1@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>=20
> On 22/08/2005, at 11:22 AM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> >
> >     Yes, XP does have a boot manager, and I suppose I should have =20
> > listed some available options when I originally replied to the =20
> > email. Just thought that someone was making a split decision during =20
> > an install and needed quick help.
[...]
> As to 3s Con, I'm not entirely sure you have to install the =20
> bootloader.. I think you can install a standard
> bootstrap, then using dd copy it and have the NT loader use it to =20
> boot the system, removing the two
> layers of boot manager..
>=20
> I did this before with NT, but it was a while ago and I don't really =20
> remember the exact steps you need
> to take, but there is probably something about it you can google..

The XP loader is configured just as the NT loader.  Instructions for
using it in both single-disk and two-disk dual-boot configurations are
at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-BOOTLOAD=
ER

The instructions require that you install the FreeBSD boot manager if
you are using the NT boot manager for a two-disk boot, but I think
that you can overwrite it with the standard MBR after you have
everything configured.  Or perhaps I misunderstand: I've never used
the NT loader to do a 2-disk configuration with FreeBSD.  In any case,
for a two disk configuration it is easier to just use the FreeBSD boot
manager and not mess with the NT/XP boot manager.

>=20
> Of course using the FreeBSD manager is the much easier and simpler =20
> option, just some people seem
> to like the NT one better..

The NT boot manager is prettier, but for a two-disk system, setting it
up is probably more trouble than it is worth.

I believe the NT boot manager always defaults to the same system,
while the FreeBSD boot manager defaults to the system most recently
used.  That might affect your choice.

- Bob