Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:10:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, "Chris D . Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>, security@FreeBSD.org, asmodai@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd bug in FreeBSD through at least 3.4

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Nate Williams wrote:

> > >Doesn't change the fact that "LOTS of people" are still running it...
> > >Geez, what a curt, rude, throw-your-hands-up answer.
> > >
> > >Are you saying that if we found a terrible bug (not this easy one)
> > >somewhere critical in 3.5.%d, we'd all have to immediatly upgrade? - Jy@
> >
> > Yes, I am saying that.
>
> FWIW, I agree with Poul.  We don't have the resources to support
> anything but '-stable', so if have an older release and need a bug-fix,
> you're forced to support yourself (ie; provide a bug-fix on your own),
> or you must upgrade to the most recent '-stable' bits.

I guess I have mixed feelings on both sides of the argument here: it's
clearly the case that dropping support for a branch within a few months of
a release on it is undesirable.  However, it's also the case that
resources are very constrained towards providing continuing support.  It
is the case that, at least for security fixes, they can and should be
backported wherever feasible.  Recently, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven
<asmodai@FreeBSD.org> has been doing some work to backport incremental
improvements to the 3-STABLE branch to ensure that it at least remains
usable.

I think it is too early to write off 3-STABLE as there is a huge install
base for the branch, and many products based on it.  We don't even have a
native Netscape build for 4-STABLE yet :-).  I think it is fine to assert
that no new feature development is occuring there, however.

  Robert N M Watson