Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 02:34:46 +0100
From:      Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org>
To:        Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BRIDGE breaks ARP? (more info)

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 05:36:03PM +0100, Rich Wales wrote:
> I should add something else.  My bridge =does= pass ARP info between
> the two bridged NIC's.  Thus, for example, a machine on the "rl0" side
> of the bridge can successfully use a default Internet gateway which is
> on the "xl0" side of the bridge (and "arp -a" on the rl0-side machine
> shows the hardware address of the xl0-side gateway).
>
> So the problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with ARP bridging.
> Even though ARP packets are being passed through the bridge, the bridge
> itself doesn't reply to ARP requests asking it for its own MAC address.
> (Or, to be more precise, it sometimes does send out ARP replies, but
> only sporadically and unpredictably.)

Just to acknowledge that you're not alone. I have the exact problem
since upgrading from 3.x to 4.x.
the bridge didn't send arp answers for itself on some of the interfaces.

I didn't have time to mess with that or debug it any further, and just
instructed another box on the same ethernet to do arp for the bridge
with 'arp -s ...  pub' which is indeed an ugly workaround, but at least
it works.

CU,
    Sec
--
          Black holes are where GOD is dividing by zero