Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:31:51 -0500
From:      Ryan Younce <ryan@manunkind.org>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        Ryan Younce <ryan@manunkind.org>, Corey Brune <brune@sdf.lonestar.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Process wont be killed.

Thus spake Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>:
> I've encounted times where there was a single apache child/parent process
> running which could not be killed. A reboot would cause the system to hang
> because the process could not be killed. That only happens once in a while
> tho.

There was something going around on hackers a couple of years ago concerning
processes which, even when signalled with SIGKILL, would not die if they
were in the middle of an I/O operation via a slow FS (like NFS under certain
situations).

Netscape Enterprise Server (bleh) did the same thing on Solaris, and without
NFS, before Sun patched it.  I doubt this is the same thing, though.

In any event, killing the child will have no effect.

--
             Ryan Younce  |  "Well it's worked so far but we're not out yet."
      ryan@manunkind.org  |             --DeForest Kelley (Dr. Leonard McCoy)