Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:02:35 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        dfoo@webct.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jailing BIND, named-xfer problems

At 11:02 AM 12/10/99 -0800, Darren Foo wrote:
>	I recently upgraded and chrooted bind. Unfortunately, my secondary DNS
>server won't update from my primary because it can't run named-xfer. It
>either gives me a "permission denied" or "can't find file" error
>message. I've tried changing the options named-xfer in named.conf but it
>still doesn't work. I compiled bind with static libraries and changed
>the permissions and ownership on named-xfer to no avail.

Where is it trying to write the bk. files to ?  That directory must be
writeable by the bind UID.  Also, did you specify the path to named-xfer ?
For example,

// the directory  /etc/namedb/s is owned by the UID:GID bind:bind
// so bind can write to it
options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
        named-xfer "/usr/local/libexec/named-xfer";   // _PATH_XFER
        pid-file "/etc/namedb/s/named.pid";  // _PATH_PIDFILE
        forward only;
        dump-file "s/named_dump.db";
};
// note the bk. file is written to the directory s

zone "myexample.ca" { type slave; file "s/bk.myexample.ca";masters
{192.168.1.1;};};

	---Mike