Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2002 13:36:09 +1100
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        Joel Dinel <dinjo@touchtunes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail server scenario

At 06:48 3/01/2002, Joel Dinel sent this up the stick:
>I need to setup a (new) mail server for a small LAN. This particular
>setup is a bit complicated, because a lot of the users travel, and use
>different ISP accounts depending on where they are (Europe, Asia, US).
>Right now, the mail server to be replaced is running sendmail on Linux,
>with open relays (yes, I know). I'm planning on migrating it to FreeBSD
>, running Postfix. I chose Postfix because I know it, and it's simple to
>configure/maintain. Obviously, I don't want this new server to openly
>relay everything. It'll relay for the lan (192.168.), and for travelling
>users.
>
>The big picture here is that I don't know the IP of the "roaming" user X
>in advance. I'd need to be able to pick up a laptop, head to China, get
>a local ISP account and send mail through this particular mail server.
>The clients that do so all run Win98/Win2k/WinNT.
>
>The mail server is behind a  firewall, that also acts as a VPN gateway.
>The VPN client software that we use is Win32 based. So far, I thought
>about a possible use of the VPN client to get the mail, but connections
>still appear as outside, routable IPs to the mail server. I've also got
>the whole "smtp through a SSH tunnel" thing in my head, but I don't have
>enough experience with that scenario to know if it will solve my
>problem.

You could use either SASL (smtp authentication) or pop-before-smtp, so the
user POP's mail, their IP address is recorded for a small amount of time
(5-10 minutes) and that IP is allowed to relay through Postfix.

Cheers,
Rob

--
So close, no matter how far... couldn't be much more from the heart.
Forever trusting who we are, and nothing else matters.

[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
This is random quote 889 of a collection of 1192