Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:56:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SSL Certificates

BSD Freak wrote to FreeBSD Questions:

> Hiya all,
>
> I need to host multiple SSL sites on my FreeBSD 4.3 box. I am
> currently using Apache 1.3 + mod_ssl and am using name based virtual
> hosts. I don have a lot of experience with SSL but maybe someone out
> ther has.
>
> My question is do I need a seperate digital certificate for each
> virtual host? Going by the Verisign documentation it seems so but is
> not 100% clear.

You normally need a different digital certificate for each common name (a
common name is a complete hostname, like www.yourname.com). Verisign will,
however, for a bigger price, issue wildcard certs based on a 2nd level
domain, that will match *.yourname.com, for example. Some other cert
issuers (like Thawte) offer the same. This assumes you do not want your
users to go through the hassle or uncertainty of authorizing a
certificate. If you don't care about that, you can self-sign your own
certificates and not bother paying a CA, for that matter).

And, unfortunately, name based virtual hosting does not work with SSL.
Every different SSL virtual host needs a unique IP address. You must use
IP-based virtual hosting. If you don't have access to spare IP addresses,
virtually hosting multiple SSL sites won't work.

> Does anyone know there answer for certain?

Been there, done that, got the bigger netblock, so yes, quite certain. :-)

- Ryan