Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 13:57:04 +0000
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sorting and Matching options for ls(1)

At the request of several FreeBSD users, I have developed the following
two options for ls(1):

      -M      Display files that match the specified types only.  The file
              types are specified by a single character as in strmode(3), with
              the option to specify regular files as ``r'' instead of ``-'' if
              needed.

      -S      Explicity specify the sorting order.  The sorting flags are:

              0       No sorting.

              n       Sort by filename (default).

              u       File owner user id.

              g       File owner group id.

              s       File size.

              a       File access time (same as -u but does not modify printed
                      output).

              c       File change time (same as -c but does not modify printed
                      output).

              m       File modification time (same as -t but does not modify
                      printed output).

              t       File type, sorted in lexical order as displayed by
                      strmode(3).

              The -S options change only the sorting order, so it is possible
              to list the change time while sorting by the access time with:

                    ls -l -c -Sa

The code to accomplish both of these adds only 1788 bytes to /bin/ls.
The option keyletters S (for Sort) and M (for Match) were carefully
chosen to be mnemonic while not conflicting with recent Posix standards
or with GNU ls.

My current patch against 4.5-RELEASE is available at

	ftp://softweyr.com/pub/softweyr/ls.diff

I plan to create a patch against -CURRENT today or tomorrow.  Suggestions,
comments, and "don't do thats" all welcome.  I hope to achieve enough
consensus to commit this in the next few days, as I am going to be quite
busy for the next few weeks starting this Sunday.

Thank you.