Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2014 17:48:20 +0200
From:      Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD bug tracking moves from GNATS to Bugzilla

Hi!

> This is the first I have seen this GNATS to Bugzilla subject discussed.

It was discussed on

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Bugtracking

since approx. 2004.

> GNATS has been working just fine for many years, why the change to Bugzilla?

See the wiki page for the details.

> Who makes this kind of change in a vacuum?

It was discussed on the committers list, and some people worked for
a long time.

> WHO AUTHORIZED THIS????

The first mention to replace gnats with bugzilla apparently was around
2001 (yes, that long ago!)

> Why was the ports mailing list not included in this before now?

It was mentioned on the ports@ list in the past, but there was
no real 'driver' mentioned, but now it happened. The BSDCan 2014
meeting was the final trigger to switch over.

So, it took a looooong time and now it happened.

It will take a bit to get all the kinks out, but it looks like progress 8-)

--
pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         6 years to go !