Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:08:43 -0400
From:      "Joe Gleason" <clash@tasam.com>
To:        "Bigby Findrake" <bigby@shiva.eu.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: making sshd2 check user expiration dates

> On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Joe Gleason wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if security is the right list, but this has to do with
allowing
> > or denying access to a system based on expiration date, which I consider
> > relevant to security.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to make sshd2 check user expiration dates?
> >
> > I did a quick test, and telnet, pop3, ftpd and sshd1 all do NOT allow a
user
> > with an expired account to login.
> > sshd2 however does.
> >
> > By expired I mean field 7 in master.passwd file having a number that is
> > between 0 and the current time in seconds exclusive.
> >
> > I am running FreeBSD 3.2-stable (a few days old)
> >
> > I installed ssh via installing /usr/ports/security/ssh and then
> > /usr/ports/security/ssh2 (that way I have all the ssh1 stuff for
> > compatibility). I haven't touched the config's much, if at all. I looked
> > through the man page and config files real quick and didn't see anything
> > about user expiration dates. It is 3am, so I could have easily missed
> > something. Anyone with any ideas of experience with this, any help would
be
> > appreicated. I would really prefer not to have to hack something odd
> > togather to support expiration dates.
>
> This is a shot in the dark but I would suggest playing with the "UseLogin"
> parameter in the /etc/sshd_config file.

My sshd_config is in /usr/local/etc, but that is unimportant.  I'm pretty
sure sshd_config is for sshd1 only.
sshd2 has it's own config: /usr/local/etc/ssh2/sshd2_config

In my tests, sshd1 works fine, even with the UseLogin option off.
sshd2_config doesn't mention anything like that.
If I remember correct from expermination I did back in the 2.2.x days,
UseLogin for sshd1 was required only to get login class restrictions to
work.  I could be mistaken about that.

Joe Gleason
Tasam