Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:31:13 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world from across the globe

Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> types:
> > I'm therefore hoping someone can point me in the direction of either i)
> > a way to login across the Internet or ii) a way to do a source upgrade
> > without dropping to single user
>
> You do not have to drop to single user.  The important thing is that the
> system is "quiet" during the installworld.

That's part of the problem. There is another one. You have to restart
any long-running software after the installworld - which means a
reboot for the kernel.  Having a quiescent system means you aren't
likely to run the new version of a program that needs a daemon against
the old version of the daemon.

> This basically means that you should not have any unnecessary daemons
> running in the background and no users should be allowed to login
> during the installworld. (Unnecessary daemons == everything except the
> instance of sshd that you are connected to.)

Those requirements take care of one problem, but not needing to
restart update daemons. For example, if you ssh in, then sshd is
running. You add a patch for a security problem in ssh, build and
install everything, but don't reboot. Your sshd is still insecure, as
you never restarted it.

Dropping to single user mode and the exiting the single user shell
will restart everything but the kernel. If you're installing a new
kernel, you *have* to reboot.

> If you have a serial console for the machine then it is possible to
> drop into single user mode and do everything 'by the book'. This does
> require you to have some other machine at the location connected to the
> first one with a serial cable though, so it might not be possible.
> Having a serial console can be quite useful if you run into any
> problems with a remote machine.

That's the safest way. Even better is to chase down one of the "VGA
cards" that include a serial port and emulate a VT100 or some such for
the BIOS.

If the idea is to avoid doing things in single-user mode, you can do
the entire dance - buildworld, kernel, installworld, mergemaster -
before rebooting, and it's not incredibly unsafe. The problem will be
during the installworld