Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2014 17:07:01 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD bug tracking moves from GNATS to Bugzilla

On 3 Jun 2014, at 16:18, Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> This is the first I have seen this GNATS to Bugzilla subject =
discussed.

Then you have not been paying attention to any discussions for the past =
few years.  Here, for example, is the Bugmeister team's entry in the =
status report from Q1 2013:

=
http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2013-01-2013-03.html#FreeBSD-Bug=
meister-Team

> GNATS has been working just fine for many years

No it hasn't.  It's the most cited reason for people not to report bugs =
in FreeBSD and a lot of developers simply refuse to learn an antiquated =
system.  Compare the number of bugs closed in the last two days (since =
Bugzilla went online) to the number in the last year and see.

> , why the change to Bugzilla?

For the reasons outlined on these wiki pages:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Bugtracking/BugRelocationPlan
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Bugzilla

> Who makes this kind of change in a vacuum?

No one.  The Bugmeister team made the change after spending several =
*years* consulting with the developer community.

> WHO AUTHORIZED THIS????

Core, after discussion with the developer community.

> Why was the ports mailing list not included in this before now?

Huh?  The discussions have taken place at DevSummits, on mailing lists, =
on IRC, and so on.  Portmgr was involved in the migration process.  =
They've been summarised in status reports.  The one I cited earlier =
contains this:

> As always, anybody interested in helping out with the PR queue is =
welcome to join us in #freebsd-bugbusters on EFnet

After many years of calls for help in this, people like Peter and Eitan =
actually did the (massive amount of) work required to move us to a =
modern bug-tracking system and *now* you choose to get involved, by =
screaming abuse at them? =20

David