Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:52:36 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        Marwan Fayed <s0121430@cs.laurentian.ca>
Cc:        Dexter X <dexterx@montana.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Question

Hello,

Where is situated your FreeBSD partition ?

There is a limit with "normal BIOSes", where you can't boot from a partition beginning after the 1024th cylinder.

It seems that, when FreeBSD installs itself, it uses a wrong geometry setup, where the number of cylinders for your disk is higher than what you can see from the BIOS (the BIOS could see for example C/H/S = 1044/255/63 when FreeBSD by default sees
80??/32/63 - I don't have the exact figures).

When one step of FreeBSD boot runs (boot1 / boot2 / loader ?), there is a call to the BIOS with a number of cylinders which is too large, hence the "beep" of the BIOS.

The solution is to record the "right" geometry, as seen by the BIOS when starting the machine with LBA mode, and then use the <G>eometry option in the "fdisk" screen, where you set up the different partitions (wd0s1 / wd0s2 ...) in the hard disk where you
want to install FreeBSD. Write in the dialogue box the geometry as told by the BIOS, and finish the install as usual.

(this is at least how I installed FreeBSD on an Award BIOS at home)

     TfH

[SNIPPAGE]