Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 04:13:59 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD (2.2.8) CD-ROM vulnerability

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 12:04:36PM +0100, Sebestyen Zoltan wrote:
> I've just tired to mount a DEC OSF/1 install-CD on my UltraPleX SCSI CDROM
> (Tried both cd9960 and ufs filesystems). I didn't succeed and got the
> following messages:
>
> Feb  4 11:37:14 nv4 /kernel: cd1(ahc0:3:0): NOT READY asc:3a,1
> Feb  4 11:37:14 nv4 /kernel: cd1(ahc0:3:0): NOT READY asc:3a,1
> Feb  4 11:37:41 nv4 /kernel: cd0(ahc0:2:0): data overrun of 16777215 bytes detected in Data-In phase.  Tag == 0x1.  Forcing a retry.
> Feb  4 11:37:41 nv4 /kernel: cd0(ahc0:2:0): Have seen Data Phase.  Length  = 1024 .  NumSGs = 1.
> Feb  4 11:37:41 nv4 /kernel: sg[0] - Addr 0xe40400 : Length 1024
>
>  However, there were no problems when I 'cat'-ted the contents of the CD
> into /dev/null. (Just to see if there are any reading problems.)
>  A minute later the machine resetted, and I'm almost sure that it
> happened because of the problems I mentioned above.
>  Do you have some idea what happened and what do these messages mean? I
> wonder why can some problem with a CD (both IDE and SCSI) bring FreeBSD
> down on his knees so easily.

sorry no solution, just adding to the observable data ..

i saw somting like this while trying to read teh walnut creek freebsd
v2.2.8-release cdrom specificily teh 2nd cd .. the live filesystem cd. several
directoroies had directory blocksises of 20k and one was up their at 60k
blocks.

after posting to -questions my observation, well i asked cdrom.com as well i
have yet to get an answer .. seems thier tech support is slow, but them again
it has always been slow as near as i can tell.

maybe you might have better luck .. not so grin.

yes, every machine i put this cdrom into and tried to read teh extraordinarily
large directories woule resuult in an imediate system reboot.

four machine (two very reliab;e i486dx33's, a pentium p5-133 and a newish
pentium pro p6-180 .. none of these are overclocked) also several versions of
freebsd produce teh same result, being freebsd v2.2.5-release and freebsd
v2.2.7-release. all the filesystems are scsi, hostatadapters being adaptec
1542b's, a buslogic bt-958 (in 8 bit mode only) and an adaptec 2940uw with a 8
bit bus hard disk and a 16 bit bus hard disk. as for the cdroms they are all
scsi and come from the reliable end of the nec and sony product range.

i;ve also got a digital unix v4 licence and installation kit, it has several
large documentation directories as well .. it also rebooted spontaniously. i
wa also told my harware was rubbish at teh time .. seems to be a proclivite
amongst the so called experts. if they don't understand someting its easy to
bag teh hardware insted of offering intelligent options.

anyway these have been my experiences . your milage may vary, if yo get a
halfway sane soltion would you mind leting me know, please.

regards

jonathan