Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 01:28:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount_cd9660: invalid argument -- why?

For some time now I seem to be unable to mount a CD.

I have FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE running (last update August 9) on more or
less standard hardware. The CD-ROM drive is a little older, but I
can probe it...

  # camcontrol devlist
  <IBM DCAS-34330 S65A>              at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
  <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-3301TA 1651>    at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)

...and read it.

  # dd if=/dev/cd0a of=/dev/null count=1000
  1000+0 records in
  1000+0 records out
  512000 bytes transferred in 3.461937 secs (147894 bytes/sec)

I just can't mount it:

  # mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0a /cdrom
  mount_cd9660: Invalid argument

When I debug mount_cd9660, I see that, as expected with this error
message, mount(2) returns -1 with EINVAL. This seems to be
independent of my custom kernel, because it also happens with the
GENERIC kernel of 3.2-RELEASE. (And yes, I *have* ``options
"CD9660"'' in my kernel.)

Unfortunately I don't know when this problem occured the first time.
With this pretty standard hardware (motherboard Tyan Tomcat IV
single, Intel Pentium 200, CD-ROM as seen above, Adaptec 2940-UW),
mount_cd9660 *has* already worked some time in the past.

It does also not work with the mount_cd9660 from the 3.1 CD (I don't
have the 3.2 CDs at hand at the moment), so I should assume that
this is a problem of the kernel -- on the other hand it does not
work with the GENERIC kernel of 3.2-RELEASE, and I am pretty sure
that is has already worked with this kernel some time. I don't
understand that.

Is this a known problem? Have I missed something? What can I try?
What more information should I give?

I'd appreciate all help, since this probem gets on my nerves.

Greetings,
--
Juergen Nickelsen