Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:35:50 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Importance of using correct hierarchy for ports.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 02:11:51PM -0600, Stephen Hurd wrote:
> Well, I've got a popular BBS package that recently went GPL ported
> and running great on FreeBSD... my question is how important is it
> ti use $PREFIX/bin, sbin, etc, and so forth?  I'll have the port
> submitted by the time an actual release of the software is out (most
> likely with the month) but it is really used to having everything
> under one directory due to it's origin in the DOS world.  Not many
> places actually ASSUME that everything is in that dir, but a good
> number of them do.  How acceptable is creating a new directory under
> $PREFIX to contain the whole package?

Some ports have it like this:

	/usr/local/bin/lr_xxxx
	/usr/local/etc/lire/xxxx
	/usr/local/libexec/lire/xxxx
	/usr/local/share/perl5/lire/xxxx
	/usr/local/share/doc/lire/xxxx

Some ports have it like this:

	/usr/local/office52/program
	/usr/local/office52/share
	/usr/local/office52/user

It's a metter of preferences. I myself would prefer to have it like
the lire-example, but that's just something for me. If you can make
it that way, it's great. If it can't be done that way because of
how it is setup, feel free to do it the way office52 does. But keep
in mind that people don't like adding directories to their $PATH,
so try to symlink the binaries into /usr/local/bin.

Edwin, my 2 cents.

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |    Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/weblog.php