Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 16:25:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printeraccounting, traycontrol, resolution control

Dear Sirs.
We use a FreeBSD 4.0 box as our printer server. As printerfilter we use
APSfilter and  seem to work well. But we have some problems:

- we want to do accounting on each printer

- we want to do some tray control on each printer

- we want switch on or off the duplexer attached to one of the printers

I think to do tray- and duplexer control is something like printing on
different printers configured differently in /etc/printcap. All printers
are attached to parallel ports and are native PS printers. So, my mainly
intention was to prepend a string which initialize by PS commands the
used tray or to use duplexer or not, but how is it realized in /etc/printcap?
Is there a possibility to prepend something like an "opening" string for
PS printers?

The other problem is related to do accounting. Normal lpd seems not to be able
to do accounting as standard. So, how could this be realized?

I would appreciate any hint, any tip, any suggestion!

Thanks in advance,

Gruss O. Hartmann