Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:51:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware compatibility list

brian@worldcontrol.com writes:
 > A few people responded that they didn't know of a list, but
 > supplied some info on what they had.
 >
 > My my part I created
 >
 > http://home.worldcontrol.com/freebsd/alpha/hardware/
 >
 > And will be happy to keep it up to date, and take
 > suggestions as to how it could be made better.

Its nice to see that somebody is doing this!
FreeBSD/alpha has far too low a profile right now.

I was thinking that rather than enumerating specific configurations,
you might want to approach things a little differently.  Given that
most peripherals will work across the board once their drivers are
either ported (or in some cases, simply tested), might it make more
sense to break this up into categories?

I've appended a first crack written before I had my morning coffee.
My apologies for any omissions ;-)

Cheers,

Drew

The following PCI based platforms are supported:

o EB164 family systems (including Digital EB164 and third-party
	PC164LX and PC164SX systems)
o Digital AlphaStation 500 and 600 systems
o Digital Personal Workstation "au" series (and "a" series after SRM console has been loaded)
o Digital AlphaStation 200, 250, 255, and 400 systems
o Digital AXPpci systems (including UDB and Multia)
o EB64+ family systems.  (Only tested on Aspen Alpine)

The following Turbochannel based platforms have very limited support.
To become functional, they require a CAMified NCR 53c94 SCSI driver:

o DEC 3000/500 family systems
o DEC 3000/300 family systems

The following PCI peripherials are supported:

 -- These PCI devices may be used as a boot device:

o DEC-branded tulip ethernet card
o NCR 53c8XX SCSI controllers
o DEC-branded Qlogic ISP10x0 SCSI controllers

-- These PCI devices may be used once the system has booted:

o any tulip ethernet card
o Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B Fast Ethernet card
o NCR 53c8xx SCSI controllers
o Qlogic ISP10x0 SCSI controllers
o Myrinet LANAi 4.x gigabit network cards
   (driver from http://www.myri.com)
o PCI VGA cards.  XFree86 server support via patches available at
	http://www.freebsd.org/~dfr/XFree86.diff

-- These ISA devices are supported

o on-board serial ports
o PC keyboards
o mice
o system clock
o floppy (AS BOOT DEVICE ONLY)
o IDE (AS BOOT DEVICE ONLY ONLY)

-- The following common devices are currently not supported, although
	work is underway to support them:

o DEC TGA video
o IDE (for anything but a boot device)
o floppy (for anything but a boot device)