Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:09:04 +0100
From:      "Christian Weihs" <whitey@whitey.at>
To:        "Jason Smith" <jasonsmi@TTACS.TTU.EDU>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Welcome to the FreeBSD Documentation Server

> The port that I use in my dorm room goes straight to a 10base-t only
> router in our IDF.  The IDF sends to the MDF over fiber and then over
> fiber to wherever it enters the campus.  So I know that I am not limited
> to half-duplex, as I would be if connected to a hub (right?).  I know
> that manually selecting full-duplex works, because we do it with all of
> our Windows machines.  I didn't think I would have such a problem with
> my Mac though.

Ok, that's quite like a direct link I guess.
At my old Company (a graphical Business) we've had - unfortunatley - a
lot of problems with Macs because of the Spanning Tree Protocol. Newer
G3 and G4 have a faulty implementation in the networking hardware and
behave strange with equipment that utilizes this.
But I don't think, your constellation works like that. Out of ideas now.

> "man en" doesn't give me any info, just an error message.

Oh, sorry. Maybe this is a feature of newer FreeBSD releases. man <if>
usually shows the drivers info and parameters.