Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:59:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ralph Strohschein <strohsr@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>
To:        Ricardo Stewart <ricardo_stewart@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking FreeBSD 2.2.7 w/3Com 3C509b

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Ricardo Stewart wrote:

> I've read some BSD news articles that state that FreeBSD 2.2.7 does not
> support the 3C509b card, although the 3C509 is claimed to be supported.
> I am beginning to believe the product documentation is wrong.. But, what
> is the solution??  Is there a driver available?

Are you sure you don't mean the 100 Mb/s card, the 3c905B ?

If in fact you do mean the 3c509B, yes, it is supported. I'm using 3c509's
and 3c509b's under FreeBSD 2.2.5.

The 3c509B's need a little more configuration; you must disable the plug
'n pray features. Get the configuration diskette from 3com and under DOS
(ugh!) run 3c5x9cfg.exe to disable the plug 'n play. While you're at it,
you might as well select RJ45 transceiver instead of the auto media select,
which sometimes fails.