Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:33:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Phat Pham <jb_pham@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Kernel

If you are new, then you probably use the GENERIC kernel. Later on, you
can learn how to compile a custom kernel.  By removing some options in the
kernel, you can make the kernel smaller.  See FreeBSD handbook online.

Besides kernel, there are other packages/ports you can install, like
X-windows.  If you install these packages/ports, more disk space will be
needed. But this is different from kernel.

Many things are easier to understand if you have Unix background. For
example, many things talked in Linux books are applied to FreeBSD as well.
They are both Unix-like O.S.

-Zhihui