Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 20:07:19 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Shannon Wheeler <swheeler@altech.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting an MS-DOS partition? - Tricky!

Whilst this may seem inappropriate for -questions, I'm persuing it
as it relates to multi-booting FreeBSD with Windows and the multi-os
tutorial in the docs states:

	"Windows 95 and DOS need to be on the first primary
	partitiin [sic] on the first hard disk."

which contradicts what is being said here. Therefore the tutorial
may need amending so as not to give mis-leading info (and yes, I'm
volunteering to do that if it is indeed required :) ).

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 09:56:56AM -0600, Shannon Wheeler wrote:

> It was actually never true that Windows needed to be in the first partition.

Which version of Windows are you referring to?

> You may be thinking of MS-DOS?

Well, Win3.x was a separate "OS" that ran on top of DOS, and Win95
is also a separate "OS" that runs on top of DOS (v7) although M$
try to hide the fact.

> I believe you can only install DOS in the Active primary partition (there
> should only be one active partition). This isn't necessarily the first
> primary partition. Some versions of DOS may have an additional restriction
> of only being able to install in the first primary partition. I don't have
> enough installable DOS versions, enough time, nor enough interest to test
> this.
>
> DOS can definately boot from other than the first primary partition though.
> As long as it's an Active partition.

Maybe this "only on C:" arose because of DOS FDISK only allowing
the creation of a single primary partition (I've always used OS/2's
FDISK, as it has a better interface, and that allows you to create
upto the maximum 4 partitions).

> Are you implying that some BIOSes
> always boot from the first partition rather than the Active partition?

I was, but now I realize that it is in fact the active partition.
I used to run OS/2's boot manager which requires it's own partition
and that wasn't the first partition, so yes, you are correct. I
was also thinking about my BIOS that allows the choice of C:, D:,
E:, or F: as well as A: and CD to boot from first. Reading the
manual it seems that these refer to the 4 possible physical (IDE)
disks, and not logical drives (DOS partitions) although these
Taiwanese mobo manuals do tend to be rather, errr, minimalist.

> Shannon

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.