Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:06:19 +0100
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Marc LeMaire <krockmitaine@sympatico.ca>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: device.hints problem

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 04:29 pm, Marc LeMaire wrote:
> Hello you all,
> This is my first posting here so please be patient :)
> I've updated my source tree and by accident, I have the 5.0 release.=20
> That wasn't my intention : I wanted to stay on 4.7 release but I made a=
=20
> mistake in my cvsup file. Sure enough, while reading the GENERIC kernel=
,=20
> some lines were quite different from the normal 4.7 release but I=20
> guessed that it was new options with the coming 4.8 release. The make=20
> world and make buildkernel went ok but when I've installed the kernel, =
I=20
> received this message :
>=20
>     You must set up a /boot/device.hints file first
>=20
> I've looked up the docs, located de device.hints man page. But while I=20
> found an explanation, I haven't found anything about building it, and i=
t=20
> seem to me a daunting task to make a correct device.hints file. My=20
> question is this : how do I make this file ? Is this only a matter of=20
> copying the file GENERIC.hints to /boot/device.hints ? Should I go back=
=20
> to the 4.7 release ? How ?
>=20
> Any "hints" are appreciated
> Marc LeMaire

Hmm,. I'd say perhaps you may be better suited to 4.7   It seems like you=
've=20
done some odd things in the updgrade process.  But it's impossible to say=
=20
without knowing all the steps you've done.  Did you read the 5.0 UPDATING=
=20
carefully?  Even if you did I'm not sure source upgrade from 4.x to 5.0 w=
orks=20
that well anyway, so you may have done nothing wrong.
=09What steps have you taken?  have you done mergemaster -p, etc?=20
It is possible that you have put yourself in a halfway stage of a broken=20
system that you can't really get out of.  You could try intalling the 4.7=
R=20
sources again and try the proper upgrade procedure exactly as in UPDATING=
 and=20
it may downgrade you properly also.
=09I don't know how to get  a device.hints file, if you can't figure out =
how to=20
do that, you could back up and reinstall from scratch, 4.7 or 5.0 as you=20
wish.  The mini install ISO's are good for that.
good luck,

=09Tim