Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 02:08:22 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        wibble <wibble@obsidian.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound woes (ducks for flame)

wibble wrote:

> Hello all...
>
> Okay.. I've searched the archives and read almost every post on sound,
> I've Man'd snd, pcm and sbc. I've looked in the handbook. I've
> recompiled my kernel about eight times on a VERY VERY (let me stress
> this) -=*****VERY*****=- slow machine and I'm out of patience :)
>
> So can ANYONE PLEASE help me out.  The card does work - I've booted off
> a dos disk and run the Creative Diagnose thing. The sound plays. The
> card is not plug and play but is software settable. I went for the
> defaults - IRQ 5 LowDMA 1 HighDMA 5 port 220.
>
> So now what do I put into the kernel to make this puppy play nice?
>
> PCM doesn't work. Niether does PCM0 at? blah blah..... I've tried with
> the sb bridging driver. So now, what in you professional opinions, would
> work best?

First of all, you need to tell us something. The behavior of the sound
cards is considerably different with 3.x and 4.x. Which sound card?
They make some really good ones and then come the AWE's and the
SbLives. With so many choices and without a clue, you won't even get a
real suggestion.

I have 3 different Sound Blaster cards and they all work on 4-stable.
I only had to add the sbc bridge on the really old SB-16. The rest I
added "device pcm", and made and installed my kernel and after the
reboot did a Makedev snd0. With 3.x, you have a pcm0 and either snd0
or snd1 depending on the type of SB.

Kent

> Frustrated regards
> warren