Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:18:37 -0600
From:      David J Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Resolver Issues (non valid hostname characters)

It seems that the use of invalid characters in hostnames is cropping
up more and more.  Besides complaining to the offending site which
often doesn't work, I was wondering if these restrictions on FreeBSD
should be re-examined.  At this time, it seems that many OSes are no
longer enforcing this requirement or never have.  In my case, I am
running into a hostnames with an underscore character in the name.  It
seems that Linux, MacOS X, Solaris and Windows all allow this hostname
to resolve but FreeBSD, as well as the other *BSD, reject it.  Should
FreeBSD follow suit?

DaveD