Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 15:24:16 -0800
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@be.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Anyone tried VirtualPC with FreeBSD?

Michael Smith wrote:
>Jake Hamby stands accused of saying:
>> Just for fun, I tried to boot FreeBSD 2.2.2 from within the VirtualPC
>> emulator for MacOS, which claims to simulate a full Intel Pentium PC at
>> the hardware level.  It can run unmodified version of Windows 95, NT,
>> OS/2, and NextStep, and so I assumed it wouldn't have much trouble with
>> FreeBSD.
>> this error:
>
>Where is this in the kernel?  Are you booting an installation disk?  If
>so, which one?  Suck the kernel off the disk, and say :
>
>nm kernel | sort | less >
>and send us the symbols from around the IP above.

I'm using the BOOTMFS kernel from the FreeBSD 2.2.2 RELEASE.  Here are the
symbols near the area of the crash:

f01b93cc t _clkintr
f01b9598 T _acquire_timer0
f01b95fc T _acquire_timer2
f01b9624 T _release_timer0
f01b9660 T _release_timer2
f01b9684 t _rtcintr
f01b96a8 t _getit
f01b96d4 T _DELAY
f01b9794 t _sysbeepstop
f01b97b0 T _sysbeep
f01b985c T _rtcin
f01b98e4 t _calibrate_clocks
f01b9a90 t _set_timer_freq
f01b9bb4 T _startrtclock
f01b9d3c T _inittodr
f01b9ef0 T _resettodr
f01ba0e4 T _cpu_initclocks
f01ba1e8 T _setstatclockrate
f01ba218 t _sysctl_machdep_i8254_freq
f01ba284 t _sysctl___machdep_i8254_freq
f01ba2b0 t ___set_sysctl__machdep_sym_sysctl___machdep_i8254_freq
f01ba2b4 t _set_i586_ctr_freq
f01ba338 t _sysctl_machdep_i586_freq
f01ba398 t _sysctl___machdep_i586_freq
f01ba3c0 t ___set_sysctl__machdep_sym_sysctl___machdep_i586_freq

>> Obviously, this is a bug in Connectix's CPU emulator.  But I'm curious
if
>> anyone could give any information off-hand as to what they might be
doing
>> wrong that would trigger such an error from the FreeBSD kernel.
>
>Not _necessarily_ "obviously"; it's possible that the emulator just does
>something "odd" that's upsetting the kernel.

Yep.  It actually would be better if it *was* a bug in FreeBSD because
we're much more likely to fix it than they are, since FreeBSD isn't on
their list of "supported" OS's.  BTW, here's some further info on the
hardware that Virtual PC simulates (from the manual).  It's important to
keep in mind that this is an all-software emulator: despite the detailed
chipset listing, there is no actual PC hardware involved!

Intel Pentium with MMX
Includes complete support for Pentium architecture including
protected-mode, MMU, FPU, and MMX.
Virtual PC uses the Intel Triton chipset (Intel Zappa motherboard). It
includes all auxiliary chips needed for a PC including:
8259 PIC
8254 PIT
8237 DMA controller
CMOS
RTC
BIOS is the Microid Reserach System BIOS
Hard drive image and CD-ROM accessed through dual IDE/ATAPI controllers
8255 keyboard controller
Emulates a PS/2 mouse using IRQ 12
SoundBlaster Pro card on port 0x220, IRQ 5, and DMA channel 1
DEC 21041-based PCI Ethernet card, Plug and Play but on IRQ 11 by default

-jake