Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:10:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Subject:   Re: Thread-specific data and KSEs

On 22-Nov-00 Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 06:51:59PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>> > I'm going to start working on the user-side of the new threads
>> > library.  I need to be able to quickly get at the current KSE
>> > (or perhaps KSEG).  Can we define a register on each architecture
>> > that should not be used by FreeBSD ABI compliant applications?
>> > The register doesn't have to be 32 bits or larger, just large
>> > enough to hold the maximum number of KSEs (or KSEGs).
>>
>> Um.  On a i386 I'm not sure this will be practical, there aren't
>> a whole lot of architecturally visible registers for use by the
>> application.
>
> Why can't we use a segment register?

%cs = code segment and is taken
%ds = data segment and is taken
%es = not sure, but bet it isn't safe
%ss = stack, taken
%fs = per-CPU data
%gs ?  as I mentioned in my other message, this one might be useful for
addressing a structure of thread-local variables much like %fs is used for
per-CPU data.  It also has value in that supposedly x86-64 (aka k64) has both
%fs and %gs, but no other seg regs.