Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 05:31:33 -0600
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: any ideas about this crash?

>As Garrett A. Wollman wrote:
>>
>> > CPU: Pentium (76.42-MHz 586-class CPU)
>> >               ^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> > Mine is 90MHz.
>>
>> Your timer/counter is bogus.  Complain to the vendor.
>
>My machine at work claims 99.95 MHz since i've upgraded it to -current
>today.  It displayed 100 MHz with 2.0.5.
>
>I still believe abusing this timer to generate the system clock is not
>the way to go.  You cannot sue anybody for the CPU-internal timer not
>being accurate within 1E-5 or so (and that's what is needed for a
>freestanding clock).

It seems that this is true with my timer.  Other than the time I reported
above, during the month of January I've seen times usually around 90MHz
reported, but also other times:

  58-MHz 78-MHz 85-MHz 84-MHz 87-MHz 86-MHz 89-MHz and 90.19-MHz

[I should have said rates]

The last boot was 90.19 MHz.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org