Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:50:41 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more PPP help

alissa bader wrote:

> hey there:  thanks for the help!  I followed your instructions and lo
> and behold, got it to automatically dial when I typed "dial provider."
>
> However, got some weird messages when I asked it to dial:
>
> ppp ON 208> dial provider
> Warning:  Add route failed: 0.0.0.0: errno: Network is unreachable

Have you got something like

 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR

in your ppp.conf?. I know it shows that in the handbook, but when I
u/g to the latest ppp source I started getting this message. rian
Somers said it was because he fixed something. You only need these
lines in ppp.linkup, the message is harmless.

> Warning: Config: dns: No such key word
> Warning: enable: Failed 1

As it says, ``dns'' is not a valid option. Remove ``enable dns'' from
ppp.conf.

> Dial attempt 1 of 1
> Phone: (and then blah blah, it dials and lets me connect to my isp,
> however something is still not registering because I can't get
> home.netscape.com to work)
>
> here are the contents of my /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup file :"
>
> MYADDR:
>  delete 0
>  add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> 208.238.64.144
>  add 204.215.84.1.0 0 HISADDR

Try

provider:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR

> eeek....something tells me I'm almost getting this, like I'm a step away
> from getting this...
>
> good thing you people on this list are patient with the likes of us
> newbies.  'Cause I've discovered that once you get a problem settled,
> there's another.  For example, there's that situation with the funky
> colors in X, but I'll ask y'all that later, after I get my machine
> connected to the 'net.
>
> thanks again!
>
> --alissa

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com