Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:21:26 -0400
From:      Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>
To:        Jonathan Ruxton <jonathan.ruxton@satin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot -s

Jonathan Ruxton wrote:

> Hello - I was wondering if there is an easy way to disable the -s
> (single user mode) option at boot time for security reasons, to prevent
> someone from changing the root password as specified in section 8.20 (
> Eek! I forgot the root password) of the FAQ?

Hi.

I asked that question once (not too long ago) -- it didn't make sense to
me that it should be that easy to change the root passwd. However, you
don't want to disable that option. You probably (hopefully) will never
forget the root password, but (and this is what happenned to me) it _is_
possible that the machine will give you 'login incorrect' even if you're
a 100% positive it's not. And it makes a lot more sense to be able to
just change the password than to be forced to reinstall.

As far as security -- single mode can only be done from the machine
itself, so if it's an issue just keep it in a secure place, don't let
people have physical access.

HTH,
Roman
        |     The box said:		          |
      _ |   Requirement: Win95, NT 4.0 or better. | _
    / / |   So I installed FreeBSD.               | \ \
  \       /    Email: romank@graphnet.com       \       /