Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 00:09:22 +0100
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd@bug.fe.up.pt, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCSI host adapter...

On 1998-02-28 21:47 +0000, freebsd@bug.fe.up.pt wrote:
> Which SCSI host adapter should I buy? I was thinking about
> the Adaptec 2940UW but it is soooo expensive here (aprox.
> $330) that I thought about the ASUS PCI-SC875 (Symbios
> Logic 53C875) which is much cheaper. Which one performs
> better?

Both are intelligent bus-master cards. Justin Gibbs has
put much more effort into the development of the AH2940
driver than I was able to spend on the NCR/Symbios driver.
Last I saw performance and CPU load values for both drivers,
they were within a few percent of each other ...

> I also know that the ASUS adapter only supports SCSI-2
> so I won't be able to plug a Quantum Atlas II (UW, SCSI-3)
> that I am planning to buy. Am I right?

There is no SCSI-3, yet, no matter what the vendors try to
make you believe :). Don't worry, the Atlas II will work
just fine with either the Adaptec or NCR/Symbios cards.

> I've heard that from time to time some problems appear
> on the Adaptec driver and I've never heard anything similar
> about the cards with Symbios chips. But as I know that
> wcarchive.cdrom.com is running with 2 Adaptecs 3940 it
> shouldn't be a problem, right?

Right.

> I've also heard about the DPT host adapters, which are
> very fast trusting the company that produces these cards.
> Anyone with experiences on those? I might go with the
> inexpensive ASUS card now and buy a DPT latter instead
> of the Adaptec... (FYI this is for my home machine and
> I can't spend to much money on it)

If it is for your home machine, then the ASUS SC875 will
be sufficient. The DPT offers support for all RAID modes,
and surely is the better choice, once you approach 100GB
total capacity :)

Regards, STefan