Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:31:18 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        Ian Barnes <ian@cerebellum.za.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDM Error

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 02:37 pm, Ian Barnes wrote:

> I wonder if anyone can help me. I am trying to run KDM for a FreeBSD 4.6
> Workstation running KDE3.0. I changed the ttys config to read kdm -nodaemon
> instead of xdm -nodaemon. When i boot up, the X server launches itself, but
> keeps crashing. It might stay in X for 2-3 seconds, before crashing, and
thus
> creating a cycle you can not escape. I can run X fine, by running startx.
>
> I will include all config files, so could someone please give me some
pointers
> why it is doing this.

Unless you've changed kdmrc, the problem isn't there.  And if you can run X,
the problem isn't with your XF86Config (you do have it in /etc, right? I once
had mine in a nonstandard location, and kdm worked from the command line and
not from ttys).  Can you start kdm from the command line?  I would use "kdm"
rather than "kdm -nodaemon" in your ttys, as well.  Have you made sure the
absolute path of kdm is correct?  By default it's /usr/local/bin/kdm, while
xdm is at /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm.

-David

--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand...

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
The University of Chicago