Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2014 09:23:58 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Phil Shafer <phil@juniper.net>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@freebsd.org>, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>, arch@freebsd.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: XML Output: libxo - provide single API to output TXT, XML, JSON and HTML

--Apple-Mail=_086615EE-779B-42D1-901B-9B8227B36641

Sorry for top posting, this really isn=92t responsive to the minutia in =
the rest of the thread.

I=92m curious. Why isn=92t this conversation about =93foo =97supports-xml=94=
 ? Why tag these commands with weird, non-standard things that need more =
exotic tools to dig the information out. Why not have a standardized =
command line option that prints nothing and returns 0 for success, or =
whines and returns 1 for failure? That=92s way more standardized than =
adding obscure notes that may or may not be allowed by the standard, but =
that we traditionally haven=92t done, which requires tools that aren=92t =
standardized and whose interface varies from one tool to the next. This =
is true of asking about DT_NEEDED (which forces a specific library for =
the implementation) as well as anything placed in the NOTES section. It =
also assumes that you know the thing you are querying is an ELF =
executable, that you can find it, that there=92s not a shell script =
wrapper for that tool that redirects to binaries that do support this, =
etc, etc etc.

Basically, what does this =91meta data=92 really buy you that can=92t be =
bought some other, more standard, more direct way that doesn=92t =
enshrine so many hard-coded implementation decisions into the mix?

Warner

On Aug 14, 2014, at 9:16 AM, Phil Shafer <phil@juniper.net> wrote:

> Konstantin Belousov writes:
>> How binary format has any relevance for an application level feature =
?
>> What would you do with the binaries which permissions are =
'r-s--x--x',
>> which is not unexpected for the tools which gather system information
>> and have to access things like /dev/mem ?
>=20
> This would clearly not make sense.  Some meta-data should be
> in the file and some in the filesystem.  Implementing the
> SF_SNAPSHOT file as a note section would be silly.  But
> that doesn't imply that using a note section to facilitate
> proper construction of the environment for running a binary
> isn't reasonable.
>=20
>> You removed and did not answered a crusial question, which is a =
litmus
>> test for your proposal.  Namely, how presence of the proposed note in
>> the binary is different from DT_NEEDED tag for your library ?
>=20
> Apologies; here is your original question:
>=20
>>> Using the static tagging for the dynamic application properties is =
wrong
>>> anyway.  E.g., would you consider the mere fact that the binary is =
linked