Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:25:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephen Hansen <stephen@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
To:        m bram <brambostic@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about freeBSD vs Unix

Newbie Reply:

My understanding of the history-of-things is that 'UNIX' is a term which
is generally applied to OS's that are descendants of AT&T(?) UNIX. The
Trademark of the name, currently, apparently, is SCO's, though this might
be wrong. But since FreeBSD is a descendant of 4.4BSD-Lite(?), it *is*
UNIX.

Linux, conversely, is not UNIX. It is a unix-clone/unix-like OS. I'm not
saying that makes it bad :) It is just a completely seperate codebase
which was written to be like UNIX, it does not trace its lineage down the
UNIX line.

Then again, I could be generally dumb :)