Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:32:29 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetAtalk

You need to build a kernel with the line
options NETATALK

in it
/sys/i386/conf/YOURCONFIG
see LINT for an example

for 2.2.5 you must first apply the patch given in
the erratum file at ftp.freebsd.org/pub/freeBSD/[the 2.2.5 directory]
before it will work correctly.

julian

Capriotti wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am facing some problems when trying to put netatalk to wirk on a 2.2.5-R.
> At boot time a message like "no support to protocol" apears.
>
> Nothing was actually described on the documentation, but, decompressing the
> package on a separate directory, and reading the files I would never find
> in another way, I realised the magic words "AppleTalk Kernel support".
>
> Question: Is this support enabled by default on the generic kernel ?

NO

> How to activate it ? (Let me guess: Enable the option on the configuration
> file and recompile the lernel)

YES, after applying the patch I mention above.

> I am facing a special sittuation here: This machine is at a show, w/ no
> phone/internet connection; I have no access to anything but what is in the
> 2.2.5 CD.
The patch is:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.5-RELEASE/updates/atalk.diff.2.2

I'll actually send you the diff in  a private email