Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:08:02 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Anders Nordby <anders@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>, ports@freebsd.org, fenner@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: all ports committers urged to opt in

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 03:59:21PM +0200, Anders Nordby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:46:44PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> >> FreshPorts runs a sanity test on every port commit.  If a commiter
> >> opts in, any errors found in their commits are reported directly to
> >> them instead of me being the go between.
> > How about sending it automaticly to the maintainers of the port too?
>
> Some time in the not so distant past, Bill Fenner <fenner@FreeBSD.org>
> use to do this. How about consulting him about experiences on doing
> this.

No, this is different. (all unless I've missed a service provided by Bill)

Bill Fenner checks if all the ports are still fetchable and build.
Every week again. It's a great service and I love it.

What Dan does is look for errors caused by the commit. "Sanity
test". I don't know what it means, but I think it's a quick check
if the port builds. More or less directly after the commit. Once.
Originally, this is the task of the port maintainer (who did it and
saw that it worked) and the commitor (who should have checked it
and seen that it worked). Sometimes the port maintainer doesn't
check it properly and the commiter has a bad day, then Dan's tool
will complain 'directly'. And Bills stuff will complain later on
in the week. And the week after that. And after that.

But stil, I think that it also should be send to the port-maintainer.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |    Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/weblog.php