Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:29:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        grgaud@sprint.ca (GR Gaudreau)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

GR Gaudreau wrote:
> questions... speaking of which: what do you mean by "ports"? The only ports
> I know are the serial and printer ports in the back of my box. I'd really
> like to learn to do this right. Cao.

"port" is something akin to a source level RedHat .rpm, only it
doesn't have the source code -- only instructions about how to get it.
(Machine readable instructions, of course.) It also has patches,
a Makefile, and stuff like that. There's an intro to them on
the website with a link title something like "Ports -- a swell way
to install optional software".

A package is like a binary .rpm. A "port" can make a package, and/or
install the software directly.

Dave
--
         Bedford County, PA -- 47,000 polite, friendly Appalachians,
                4,000 of whom have concealed-carry permits.