Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:09:25 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        "Gene" <fbsd@brightstar.bomgardner.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE4 port hangs, archives - handbook no help.

On Friday 20 March 2009 05:21:20 Gene wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:01:29 -0800, Mel Flynn wrote
>
> > On Thursday 19 March 2009 15:50:22 Gene wrote:
> > > Morning All:
> > >
> > > I've searched the archives and googled and generally applied what I
> > > found to no good effect.
> > >
> > > While installing the kde4 port, I got to libspectre. The libspectre
> > > port insists that I must have libgs to compile it.
> >
> > What pulls in this library? It doesn't for me. But I'm cups and
> > generally printer allergic.
> >
> > --
> > Mel
>
> Thanks for the reply, I'm also using cups in my kde 3 machine and plan to
> use it in kde 4.
>
> libgs is required, via libspectre,  by evince, kdegraphics-4, kipi-plugins-
> kde4, the kde4 metaport, and so on.
> Actually, it was originally the "ghostscript-gpl" port that was called for,
> and I'm not sure what depended on it. I have discovered, however, that
> there was no port later than 8.60, and it appears to have dissappeared from
> the ports collection altogether (at least according to
> www.FreeBSD.org/ports, and portsnap didn't help either). So I manually
> installed the ghostscript- 8.63 port which supplied the necessary 8.63
> libraries.
>
> For some reason, though, the libspectre script thinks it's seeing a version
> <= 8.60. Maybe I'll try uninstalling the ghostscript-gpl port and retrying
> libspectre.

Your ports tree seems to be out of whack. Do you actually do portsnap update
after fetch? There's no more ghostscript-{licensetype} ports, only
ghostscript7 and 8, with -nox11 and font variants.

I would suggest deleting ghostscript-* from your system, check /etc/make.conf,
pkgtools.conf and your environment variables for anything GHOSTSCRIPT_* and
remove those.

The run dependencies for libspectre should read:
make -C /usr/ports/print/libspectre/ -V RUN_DEPENDS
  /usr/local/etc/mtree/BSD.gnome.dist:/usr/ports/misc/gnomehier
gs:/usr/ports/print/ghostscript8

--
Mel