Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 01:01:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: .htaccess with name based virtual hosts

BSD Freak wrote to FreeBSD Questions:

> Hi everyone...
>
> I have encountered a problem on my FreeBSD 4.3 box (running Apache 1.3
> + mod_ssl). .htaccess is ignored when using name based virtual
> hosts.... anyone encountered / fixed this issue?

In the virtual host record, you need to use the "AllowOverride" feature.
Often, this is set to "None", meaning .htaccess will indeed be ignored.
Consult the apache documentation for valid arguments to "AllowOverride".
One such example is

	AllowOverride	All

Which parses all kinds of settings in .htaccess, which you may not want to
do for security reasons. You can also specify AllowOverride on a per-
directory basis within a virtual host container, if you need more
granularity.

- Ryan